admin Posted on 7:40 pm

Mold Detection: How to Detect Toxic Mold in Your Home

Mold is a type of tiny living organism in the fungus family. Spores thrive on moisture and spread rapidly in the presence of moisture. They can grow on any material and surface, particularly on objects made of cellulose.

Recent studies show that most homes have some form of mold infections due to unknown indoor humidity problems. This leads to rapid growth in damp areas like bathrooms, water-damaged basements, pipes, and leaky roofs. Indoor mold growth poses a major health threat and must be removed quickly to prevent it from spreading. Therefore, the detection of mold is very important, one must be very attentive to the presence of this small organism and take the appropriate measures to prevent it from developing as a fungus.

DIY mold detection at home

1. Look for visible mold.

Recognizing the natural characteristics of the organism will help in the detection of visible mold. It appears in the form of a cottony element. They usually develop in gray, green, black or white.

2. Smell mold.

Another easy way to detect mold is by smell. These killer organisms produce strong earthy and musty odors. So whenever there are moldy smells that put you off, start investigating right away. However, there are still some species, which do not have odors, and generally grow behind the walls, between panels and channels. So if your home doesn’t smell moldy, it may not mean it doesn’t have mold.

3. Search the basement.

If your basement suffers from water damage, such as flooding, you may want to do a thorough check on your basement as it is most likely full of toxic mold. Look for any signs of water seepage or water stains on the walls and ceilings. Strong musty odors could be an indication of infection.

4. Watch out for hidden mold.

Invisible mold is considered the most dangerous type, as it can be grown extensively without being detected with the naked eye. Watch out for frequent bouts of stuffy or stuffy nose and constant clearing of the throat. These could suggest the presence of a hidden growth of this dangerous organism. The unfamiliar earthy smells would further confirm its existence.

5. DIY mold test kits.

Get a DIY test kit to help detect harmful molds in your home. These test kits are available at most hardware and home improvement stores. They are easy to use, by following the instructions you can get the results instantly.

6. Get help from a certified inspector.

When you are experiencing symptoms similar to mold exposure, but are not detecting the presence of this dangerous living organism, you can get help from certified mold inspectors. Their expertise in detecting mold can help you identify the exact spots of possible hidden growth.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *